Military Veteran Information

If the deceased is a military veteran, or on active military duty, he/she may be entitled to certain benefits including: burial in a national military cemetery, receiving an American flag, a military cemetery marker, or possible burial benefits for disabled veterans. For more information; or to complete the applications on your own, visit the Veteran Administration website at:  and click Burials and Memorials

Print the following documents and attach a copy of the veteran's Honorable Discharge Papers (DD214s) to each application

VA Form 40-1330: Claim for Standard Headstone or Marker

VA Form 27-2008: Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes

VA Form 40-0247 Presidential Memorial Certificate Request

Click here for a list of National Military Cemeteries open for Veteran Burials (casket or cremains)

For additional questions, help in applying for benefits, or locating a Veteran's DD214s from National Archives or local records, please contact:

John Canestaro, Veteran Benefit Advisor I

C/O Cornell University, 127A Humphreys Svc Bldg.

639 Dryden Road, Ithaca, NY 14853

 607-255-8719 or